Children are born with abilities to learn their native and foreign languages. When they are very small they have a lot of time and are ready to accept learning of foreign languages. Learning in this time is fun because it is performed during the children play. Just as in Slovenian the children first listen to the foreign words, then start speaking and after a certain period form sentences. Small children do not bother about grammar but use expressions which they hear. They forget some words and sentences and remember others.
If we teach children in the right way they are not embarassed when learning foreign languages. Parents can help their children if:
- they do not say that English is difficult
- they do not force them to understand grammar
- jih pri učenju tujega jezika zapletejo v zanimivo igro,/try to involve children in a pleasant play when learning English
- they understand that children at the beginning just listen to, then understand and after that read and write (therefore they should not force children to speak or repeat words)
- they are patient and aware that the child at first does not understand everything that he/she hears but only some words which he connects with the happening and then makes approximate conclusion about the meaning
- they understand that children are a bit disturbed by the fact that they cannot quickly express a thought in a foreign language
- they do not correct the mistakes (the children will soon recognize the mistakes themselves and correct them)
- they are aware that there are differences between boys and girls and do not compare them.